St John the Baptist,

Hall Drive, Hagley


St Saviour's,

Park Road, Hagley

Charity Commission Registration: 1132263


The Benefice of Hagley and Clent

Tel: 01562 886363
Email the Office:


Rector: Richard Newton                01562 882442

Associate Priest: Kim Topham      07952 162 373


Hagley Parish Safeguarding Officer - Mrs Jenny Moulder
01562 883666 /
Clent Parish Safeguarding Officer - Mrs Natalie Baker
07983400811 /
Safeguarding Policy is on display in all Churches

History of The Church of St John the Baptist


The Friends of St John the Baptist, Hagley


A brief History of The Church:

Evidence from the Domesday Book suggests that there was a church here in Saxon Times – probably constructed of timber, wattle and daub and thatch.

In the 1100s, a small stone church was built in the Norman style, fragments of which can still be seen. Later c. 1300, a new church was built with chancel, nave and south aisle in the Decorated style.

The next major change came in the 18th century, by which time the Lyttleton family had made Hagley their principal seat. Following this the chancel was rebuilt and a vault constructed underneath it. Further improvements, including the provision of new windows, new seating and a gallery at the west end of the church.

In 1827 the church was enlarged by the addition of the North Aisle and in 1856 the church underwent a major reconstruction. The almost solid wall between the chancel and the nave was removed, and the Lyttleton family monuments placed at the west end of the church.

The Tower and Spire were built in 1865 and a peal of eight bells was installed in 1885. Further improvements were made in the 20th century, however the building was in need of considerable repair and was threatened with closure – leading to the formation of THE FRIENDS OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN, BAPTIST, HAGLEY






Powered by Church Edit